On Saturday April 16, the Energy Independent Vermont campaign will be holding a Statewide Activist Training at the Barre Civic for anyone interested in becoming more involved in the campaign the put a price on carbon pollution in Vermont. This is a great opportunity to connect with grassroots activists, coalition partners, students and communications experts for a day of skills building, collaboration, learning and action planning for Energy Independent Vermont. Check out some of the featured trainers below along with the agenda for the day. If you’d like to attend you can RSVP here!
- Matthew Kohut, our lead trainer for the day, is a communications guru and co-author of “Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities that Make Us Influential.” Check out a recent TED Talk here.
- Breakthrough Strategies’ training team will join Matthew in leading interactive skills training with messaging focused on Vermont’s campaign to pass a carbon pollution tax. Check out this firm’s general climate messaging guide: “Climate Solutions for a Stronger America.”
8:30-9:00 Breakfast, Registration
9:00-9:20 Welcome, Connect & Goals for the Day
9:20-9:40 Campaign update from EIV campaign staff
9:40-11:05 Climate & Energy Independent Vermont Communications Basics: Work with fellow activists and trainers to hone your own story and learn how to make the strongest case for climate action and pricing carbon. Key components of this interactive training include:
- Elements of Persuasive Communications;
- Climate Solutions Messages; and
- Making the Message Your Own
11:20-12:30 Vermont perspectives on carbon pricing, Q&A and tackling tough questions: Hear from key constituencies on how we can structure a carbon pollution tax to meet different groups’ needs, and learn how to answer tough questions.
12:30-1:30 Lunch & Group Photo
1:30-3:30 Action Planning: Campaign organizers will share new organizing and communications tools and facilitate small group action planning sessions.
3:30-4:00 Wrap-Up, Thank You, Music & Path Ahead